9/28/15

Beautiful things

I meant to say this in my last post, but I got distracted. And cried again. I want to do something, anything for the flood of refugees from Syria and surrounding areas. But i've also been fixing up my home and trying to appreciate beauty more. And as I was having a quick pedicure party with Penny this afternoon, I wished refugee girls wouldn't just get bread and water, but maybe some mint green nailpolish, too. I don't know just how to say what I mean here, but they have suffered -- all of them -- through traumatic experiences. And there is so little I can do for their immediate needs, although i want to do what I can. But I can...um, pray they find a moment of joy in seeing a butterfly. Or flowers. Or some flash of beauty and humanity that reminds them they have dignity and hope. 

(Today is a good day, so I am actually thinking beyond survival and on to beauty. And interestingly, the more beauty, the easier survival gets. Hence my feelings about beauty for refugees, I guess.)

(Also, i obviously am not in favor of Walls.)


No comments:

Post a Comment