11/13/15

Things that help

I realize my blog lately could really be called No Time for Therapy So You Get to Hear About It All. I also have a very hard time finding time for self-care, so now you also get my advice to myself about ways to battle depression when you ain't got time for that. (Please feel free to share suggestions, too!)

1. Snuggles. I actually never realized how much good I get from physical contact until i got married. Ironically, Penny is the only one who can be counted on to be cuddly also. But Kaylen will let me snuggle up next to her as long as i DO NOT put my arm around her.... (Sometimes on bad days I can't stand being touched, so obviously this doesn't always work.)

2. Movies in Bed. Or usually more like PBS Kids shows. I realize I am the only adult in the world who will say this, but even Caillou can be relaxing. When I'm too tired to do anything else, there's always watching TV with the kids all in my bed. We're together and there is zero stress. Or close to it. 

3. Psalms Out Loud. Reading the Psalms is always good, but listening to them is even better. There have been many times I feel smashed to bits and able to do nothing but cry out "Jesus!", but then I start listening to whoever reads The Message (or NIV) on my Bible App, and peace floods my soul AND body. They tell me I'm not alone in my suffering. They tell me I have an unshakeable rock to be hidden by. It's a love song from a God who is so magestic that it kind of blows my mind.

Songs. Again with the psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. The old hymns that I know the words to without having to think about it. But also other songs I love. U2 is almost guaranteed to turn things around. 

Going Outside. I've been forcing myself to try to go outside more with the girls when Lincoln is napping in the afternoon. Even when it's windy and cloudy and i'm out for five minutes, it does me good. Let the cold wind blow it all away. 

Friendship. It means the world when someone says they're thinking of me, especially because it's an often overwhelming struggle for me to actually get out of the house and go anywhere with the kids or participate in something, so I'm basically a terrible friend to have.  Thanks for being patient with me, and still being kind to me!


Bonus: Make Something. Sometimes it's worth waiting on the dishes so I can mix up something super easy or take time to fix something small or rearrange the living room. It feels like a much more *fun* accomplishment than changing that fifth poopy diaper of the day, even the diaper-changing is more important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment